There are 12 houses in Indian astrology, which as a reference helps in predicting the event in the life of an individual. Different significances rule these houses and accordingly give a result based upon the strength, functional nature, and placement of the lord of that house in a horoscope. Though the arrangement of houses is fixed in a horoscope, their ascendant lords differ according to the date of birth, place and time. The house of an ascendant is always the first house and the other houses follow in an anti-clockwise direction.
- Every house is strengthened by the Yogadrishti of its lord, benefics and the lord of the ninth house.
- If the 12 houses including the ascendant are placed with the Drishti of their respective lords, then they will gain strength.
- If benefic planets are placed in the 2nd and 12th of each house, then the house will be hemmed between benefics. This gives strength to it.
- When the house does not have an association and aspect of malefic planets and the lords of 6, 8 and 12th houses then it will possess strength.
- Whenever the strength of any house is being evaluated, if the 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10th houses from that house have benefic planets then the house gets strength.
- The yogadrishti of malefic planets creates weakness in houses.
- If the houses are hemmed between malefic then, it also creates weakness.
- The yogadrishti of malefic planets and the lords of 6, 8 and 12th houses cause weakness.
- The house whose lord is either in the 6, 8 or 12th house, is debilitated, combusted or with the yogadrishti of malefic planets, will be rendered weak.