The third pair of opposite houses, the 3rd and the 9th deals primarily with the inter-link between a native’s luck and the efforts put forth by him towards its fructification. In other words, this pair of houses indicates not only as to what is in store in this life for an individual owing to his Prarabdha (shown by the 9th house as Bhagya) but also the ways and means in which his luck unfolds through his efforts and actions (indicated by the 3rd house).
Third House for Effort
The 3rd house signifies human effort through the arms, their strength (Parakrama), intelligence and creativity, skill and aptitude for doing any work and the nature of work courage, younger brothers and sisters, short journeys, longevity, written communication, done, etc. The 3rd house also indicates the manner in which a person uses his arms i.e., whether in the proper way and for the right purpose or otherwise. The 3rd house is also the significator of sexual prowess and conjugal pleasures.
The 3rd house signifies human effort through the arms, their strength(Parakrama), courage, younger brothers and sisters, short journeys, longevity, written communication, intelligence and creativity, skill and aptitude for doing any work and the nature of work done, etc. The third house also indicates the manner in which a person uses his arms i.e.whether in the proper way and for the right purpose or otherwise. The 3rd house is also the significator of sexual prowess and conjugal pleasures.
The 3rd house of the Zodiac is Gemini, an airy sign. It is symbolised by the duality of twins and is ruled by Mercury signifying intelligence and worldly knowledge. Thus, Gemini connotes the imaginative material world (maya loka) visualized by the mind (airy) and the phenomenal existence of dualities in Nature. As such, the sign also signifies worldly knowledge as perceived by one’s intelligence and the means of using that knowledge in achieving material success. In a particular nativity, the 3rd house imbibes these basic attributes as well. Therefore, it can be deduced from the 3rd house of a horoscope as to whether a native would try boldly to change his fate or if he tends to accept meekly what is pre-destined.
The fact that the 3rd house is an Upachaya house implies that the actual nature of the activities of a native, whether they are oriented towards progress or not, can be known by assessing the influences on the 3rd house. The 3rd house, being the 11th from 5th, indicates gains from knowledge. In other words, whether a native would put his knowledge to gainful use or not can be clearly inferred from the 3rd house. It often indicates the manner in which a person utilizes the strength, energy and knowledge possessed by him.
Role of Ninth House
The significations of the 9th house include one’s virtue, Providential luck, pilgrimages and visits to holy places, penance, reverence to elders and the like, conduct, purity of mind, divine worship, long-distance travel, religious observances and celebrations, paternal wealth, father, Dharma and faith, Guru, mentor, teacher etc.
The 9th house of the Zodiac is Sagittarius, a fiery sign, ruled by Jupiter. It is also a dual sign. The fiery nature of Dhanus, with the Divine Grace of Jupiter working as a catalyst for change, paves the way for the transformation of the native in the direction of his destiny (Bhagya). It enables one to enjoy Providential luck by activating the ‘hunter’ in one and prods one to seek and fight for all that is destined for one in this life. The duality of the sign provides the much-needed dexterity to achieve one’s purpose.
These characteristics of Sagittarius are also imbibed by the 9th house in a horoscope which actually manifests as the native’s personal approach to life in general. As a result, the Dharma (path) adopted by any individual is always guided by a staunch belief in his own philosophy of life, the roots of which can only be traced to his Prarabdha.
In fact, a native may be said to learn the first principles of his ideology (Dharma) from his father and then only from his Guru and others. Also, the 9th house signifies the native’s amenability or otherwise to disciplines such as Japa and other religious observances which work towards the conditioning of his unconscious mind on which the imprints of his past lives are etched. Thus, the 9th house reflects not only the luck of the native as borne out from his Prarabdha but also his principles and ideals in life together with a clue as to what extent he will practice them practically so as to either support or thwart the fruition of his luck or Bhagya.
Third and Ninth House Subtle Link Conditions
- If the 9th lord or the 9th house and 3rd lord/3rdhouse are mutually supportive without any other malefic influence, then it means that the native’s luck and effort generally go well with each other. Or his deeds and actions are oriented towards realising his Prarabdha in the predestined way which is generally good for achieving name, fame, recognition and honour. It also indicates that the behaviour of the native will be similar to that of his grand or great grand parents or the native will physically and/or mentally resemble or behave like them.
- If the 9th lord is in his own house or otherwise strong, it indicates that the native has the blessings of his Pitrus and that their status and deeds were good as a result of which the native would get good opportunities in his present life and could cash in on them.
- If the 3rd and the 9th houses or lords are mutually afflicting each other, it means that the native’s ancestors lived in cruel ways and did bad deeds in their old age and refused to make amends for their bad deeds. Hence, their next generations are suffering. As the native is born in such a clan or family tree, he would also be destined to suffer with less or meagre comforts.
- Benefic influences on the 3rd house without any influences on the 9th house indicate that the native would do right deeds or put in right efforts to improve his luck. A benefic in the 9th house without any adverse influence of the 3rd indicates that the native’s luck is good and even though he does improper deeds at times, he would still remain comfortable. If both 3rd and 9th houses have benefic influences without any affliction, then the native would be very lucky in life and automatically gets good opportunities to enjoy his luck.
- If both the 3rd and the 9th houses are occupied or influenced by malefic planets without any benefic influence, neither the native’s luck is good nor would he try to change it .In other words, his efforts and deeds would make him reap his past Karmic fruits by enduring pain and suffering with multiple problems.
- If the 3rd house is afflicted and the 9th house has benefic influences, the native would get Providential support for his negative deeds and also efforts.
- If the 9th house is afflicted and the 3rd house has benefic influences, then the native will not be lucky enough; but, he would try to put in good efforts and perform good deeds due to his Poorva Janma Vasana (past life propensities) and pending Sanchita Karmas if the 5th house simultaneously has either no affliction or comes only under benefic influences. Otherwise, with all the best efforts success would always be eluding the native in almost all spheres of life.
- If both benefic and malefic influences (mixed influences) are present in both the 3rd and the 9th houses, it indicates that the native is destined to have a troubled life due to his efforts being not in tune with his luck. But, when mixed influences are there in either the 3rd or the 9th house, it indicates problems and sufferings due to mismatch of effort with luck or vice-versa.
- Especially if Rahu and Ketu are in 3-9 axis, it is good for thoughtfulness. The native becomes good in literature (Sahitya). If Rahu is in the 9th house, it indicates influence of Pitrus as a result of which the native imbibes unorthodox nature, abnormal courage etc., because of its impact on the 3rd house. Even if lords of these houses are not well placed, the native would do something special and get applause from others. If Rahu is in the 3rd and Ketu is in the 9th, it is of the 2nd grade and the native will be aspiring to do something special mentally and it will make him retract and slow down by inducing a philosophical approach in his thoughts such as being careful, not wanting to aspire for more, being Dharmic or religious, not being dogmatic or at the other end of the spectrum, it may embolden the native to try something unethically negative and make him indulge in unlawful activities as well
Courtesy: MODERN ASTROLOGY (Dr. Revathi Vee Kumar )
Continued from: Pairing Of Opposite Houses IIIB
To be continued……